Easy to send and fun to listen to, voice messages have become a go-to for many when sharing funny anecdotes or heartfelt messages with friends and family. With 7 billion voice messages sent on WhatsApp every day, they are a popular way of sharing in-the-moment updates, with the added expressiveness that comes with speech. Voice messages are protected by end-to-end encryption, to keep your personal messages secure at all times.
But as quick as it is to swipe and send a voice message, they should be shared with thought. Receiving long rambles that could take ten minutes to listen to, or playing a message from a parent out loud on public transport is neither fun nor convenient. And what about the politics of replying? Must you respond to a voice message with one of your own?
To help navigate voice message etiquette, WhatsApp has shared tops tips on how to voice message like a pro:
- Don’t record a podcast: While everyone has a different opinion on the ideal length of a voice message, try keeping them to 1 or 2 minutes. If it’s too long to type but too short for a call, you’ve found the voice message sweet spot. And if you receive a voice message that is unbearably long, you can play it at 1.5x or 2x speeds to listen to it faster.
- Break it up: If you really can’t shorten your message, consider breaking it up into shorter ones and sending them separately. Your recipient can choose to binge-listen in one sitting or squeeze them in around their schedule.
- Respect others: Be aware of your surroundings when listening to a voice message. Loud playback can be annoying for those around you, but the message may also contain private information. Keep the volume down or use headphones in quiet, crowded places like train carriages.
- Cut the questions: Be mindful of how many questions you ask in a single voice note so your recipient doesn’t forget half of them when trying to reply.
- Return the favour: If you receive a voice message, try sending one back. A two-way voice conversation is much better than a one-sided rant.
- Be timely: Remember to reply to voice messages in a timely manner. If you’re really tight for time, you can send a voice message hands-free while multi-tasking. Simply hold down the microphone icon and swipe up to lock your recording in place. When finished, tap to send.
According to WhatsApp, “Technology has helped us communicate in an informal, relaxed manner with family and friends, and voice messages over WhatsApp are a popular way to share a funny anecdote, or a heartfelt message – particularly as they’re protected by end-to-end encryption. That said, at times we can forget the importance of etiquette in digital situations, and there are no official rules to guide us. I’m excited to share some etiquette tips, to help you and the people you’re sharing them with get the best from voice messaging”.
17 thoughts on “Voice Message 101: WhatsApp shares etiquette guide for becoming a voice message pro”
I came to this site with the introduction of a friend around me and I was very impressed when I found your writing. I’ll come back often after bookmarking! baccaratcommunity
Right now it looks like Movable Type is the top blogging platform out there right now. (from what I’ve read) Is that what you’re using on your blog?
Hello2. And Bye2.
3396750 : https://uomus.edu.iq
1293324 : we hope you to visit this site its very helpful https://uomus.edu.iq
Good day! This is my first visit to your blog! We are a group of volunteers and starting a new initiative in a community in the same niche. Your blog provided us useful information to work on. You have done a outstanding job!
Fascinating blog! Is your theme custom made or did you download it from somewhere? A design like yours with a few simple tweeks would really make my blog jump out. Please let me know where you got your design. Thanks
Generally I don’t read post on blogs, however I wish to say that this write-up very pressured me to take a look at and do it! Your writing taste has been surprised me. Thanks, very nice post.
Hello would you mind sharing which blog platform you’re using? I’m going to start my own blog in the near future but I’m having a tough time making a decision between BlogEngine/Wordpress/B2evolution and Drupal. The reason I ask is because your design and style seems different then most blogs and I’m looking for something unique. P.S Sorry for being off-topic but I had to ask!
With havin so much written content do you ever run into any issues of plagorism or copyright violation? My website has a lot of completely unique content I’ve either written myself or outsourced but it seems a lot of it is popping it up all over the internet without my authorization. Do you know any techniques to help stop content from being ripped off? I’d definitely appreciate it.
I’m not sure exactly why but this site is loading very slow for me. Is anyone else having this issue or is it a issue on my end? I’ll check back later on and see if the problem still exists.
I see something truly interesting about your web site so I saved to my bookmarks.
You made some clear points there. I did a search on the subject matter and found most guys will consent with your site.
Hi there very cool website!! Man .. Excellent .. Superb .. I will bookmark your web site and take the feeds alsoKI am happy to find so many useful info here within the post, we need develop extra techniques in this regard, thanks for sharing. . . . . .
I regard something really interesting about your blog so I saved to my bookmarks.
I came to this site with the introduction of a friend around me and I was very impressed when I found your writing. I’ll come back often after bookmarking! casinosite
excellent submit, very informative. I ponder why the opposite experts of this sector do not notice this. You should proceed your writing. I am confident, you have a great readers’ base already!